Did man celebrate with his friends after beating clubber to death?

  • img Harvey Cawdron
  • POSTED ON 16 Aug 2018


After beating a clubber to death in front of his girlfriend in an unprovoked attack, a killer and his friends celebrated like they had 'won an Olympic medal'. 

29-year-old Anthony Condron was attacked by Paul Byrne on a night out in Liverpool in February. 

CCTV footage displayed Byrne fist-bumping and hugging his friends  Joseph Booth 25, and Jamie Addison, 23, after leaving his victim on the ground. 

Liverpool Crown Court heard how Booth exchanged WhatsApp messages with Byrne the next day laughing about the incident. 

Byrne will be sentenced next month after admitting to manslaughter. His friends were cleared of manslaughter while Booth was given an 18-month sentence for grievous bodily harm after attacking Condron's friend. 

Byrne was recorded punching Condron before attempting to kick his friend, Barry Goffett, who fell and broke his ankle. 

The 3 were rejected from Maya nightclub, and shortly after Byrne was caught re-enacting his punch and kick to his friends, who appeared amused. They moved on to the club Red Door, where Byrne was recorded again mimicking punches and kicks. His friends appeared to be laughing and 'fist-bumping' as Booth hugged Byrne. 

The prosecution claimed that Booth had revealed his true feelings in a 'triumphant' text the next morning, displaying no 'hint of regret that a man had died'. 

According to the Liverpool Echo, Booth claimed he regretted laughing and they were not aware of the serious consequences of their behaviour. 

But Judge Clement Goldstone, QC, scorned Booth for his attitude and 'triumphalism', which he deemed 'beyond the pale'. He jailed Booth for 16 months and said he had to pay £1,000 in compensation to Goffett. 

The judge did make note of Booth's previous good character. The judge said ' You have no previous convictions and bear hitherto good character. That you have now lost. And it is far more difficult to regain a good character than it is to lose it.' He also said just before to Booth that ' You have behaved in the past as a good son, a good brother and a good nephew. But like so many young men, you allowed alcohol to get the better of you in the early hours of the third of February 2018 in the Maya bar.'

Prosecutors alleged that Condron was killed in a joint attack involving Addison and Booth. Both denied the charges during the 17-day trial. Both were acquitted of manslaughter by jurors, as was Addison of grievous bodily harm. However, Booth was convicted of inflicting grievous bodily harm by a majority of 10-2. 

The Liverpool Echo claimed that Booth conceded that he punched Goffett, but claimed he did so in self-defence as he falsely alleged that Goffett made as if to hit him. He also claimed that he fell over after being struck from behind in the face, but CCTV did not show this and he did not suffer any injuries. 

Addison, who did not hit anyone, rejected claims that he targeted Condron's work colleague Rob Watts, after telling him to 'Get the f*** outside.' 

Condron's friends and family were devastated when they learnt of his death, and they described him as a 'loving and popular' devoted Everton fan.

Over 500 people turned up to pay their respects at his funeral, held in Liverpool in March. A fundraising page to help fund the funeral gathered over £17,000 from hundreds of people. 

Whilst paying tribute online, Barbara Condron said 'Anthony was one in a million dollars, you only had to look at him to see that. He was an amazing uncle.'

Another relative, in an open letter to him, wrote 'In the blink of an eye you're gone. My world becomes a darker place. How do I prepare and go on without your smiling face? In your short time with us, you brought a lifetime of laughter, love, stories and memories I'll take them with me until I'm grey and old. Now go and light heaven up Ant with that massive heart of gold. Goodnight God bless, love you mate.'